Virtue Keepsake Lockets and jewellery, whether you bought it for yourself or received it as a gift, is precious to you and you want to make sure you can keep it forever. However, sterling silver naturally tarnishes over time, growing dull and dark, which means it’s important to know how to care for and clean your Virtue jewellery to keep it looking as good as new. So, we’ve put together our top tips on how to care for your jewellery, making it long-lasting and beautiful.
- When you aren’t wearing your jewellery, store it in a sealed plastic bag to slow down the oxidisation process. Tarnish occurs when the metal reacts to the moisture and sulphur in the air, so keeping your jewellery in a sealed bag will reduce exposure and slow the process.
- Obviously, you want to wear your jewellery, so over time tarnish will occur, but don’t worry. As soon as you notice any tarnish on your jewellery, simply polish it with a Silver Polishing cloth, which will return your jewellery to its original condition.
- If an item is already very tarnished use warm water and a soft toothbrush to gently scrub your jewellery then dry thoroughly and finish with a polishing cloth.
- We do not recommend using silver dips as these can permanently strip layers off the jewellery. Regularly wearing and polishing your jewellery will help to prevent the build-up of tarnish.
- Gold-plated items need extra care to prevent the plating wearing off prematurely. Make sure you gently polish gold or silver jewellery with a polishing cloth, this will make the metal shine. Be careful not to press hard when polishing gold-plated jewellery as this can cause damage to the surface of the piece, as gold is quite soft. Using rough paper towels could also result in scratching so make sure you always use a proper polishing cloth. If you want a bit more of a ‘deep clean’ on your gold-plated jewellery, use warm soapy water and a polishing cloth, but make sure your jewellery is rinsed thoroughly afterwards and dried properly too.
- Finally, to ensure your jewellery is always in the best condition, be careful how you wear it! Never wear the items in water and do not expose to lotions, perfumes or any kind of chemicals.
To see our range of Virtue jewellery visit our site www.kalilablue.co.uk
Follow us on Facebook